This weekend, we went to the museum once again to test our prototype with actual visitors. We planned on using the Presence Questionnaire by Witmer & Singer, revised by the UQO Cyberpsychology Lab. We also wanted to create a heatmap of where the visitors walked and stayed the longest, and compare that to the routes we had programmed in the app itself.
When we got to the museum, this proved to be a bigger challenge than expected. The new script for the heatmapping couldn’t be deployed due to errors we were not able to solve. After this setback, we regrouped and figured we could still place the app and heatmap people manually. This was also not as easy as we thought it would be. The app was programmed for a flat surface, whereas the floor leading up to the temple had a small staircase. We tried to solve this by standing on a crutch and having the temple at eyelevel.
Trying to deploy the app
Unfortunately, this did not work as well as we wanted. Standing still, the app looked nice and was placed correctly. However, as soon as you started moving, the app shifted and the statue and the routes were placed through walls. This lead to some frustration.
Due to this setback, we decided to look at the day as a testrun.
Holograms placed through the wall
We placed the app as well as we could and took some pictures using the live preview of the Hololens. We also asked some visitors to put on the Hololens and give their first impression. This proved to be difficult because they were unable to walk around without crashing the app. However, their initial reactions were positive. They liked the idea and found the information and the different routes interesting.
We also showed the pictures and the demovideo that we made so far to some of the employees at the museum. They were very enthusiastic, asking to see even more content. Hearing their feedback really cheered us up again and we left feeling pleased about the possibilities of our project.
More exciting news this week: our interview with Reuters came out!
We are very happy with the result, as well as having the opportunity to share our project with a wider audience. Check out the interview below:
The project is slowly coming to an end, which means it is time to finalize the concept.
This week everything will come together, in time for the big presentation in tuesday, the 1st of November.
Last week we conducted some user tests, to validate our original concept and content.
The general idea of the app is an Interactive and Personal tour. This means the visitor will be free to explore whichever part of the temple they find most interesting, whether it be Architecture, Origin, Tradition or Relocation.
However, the way this is presented has to be clear for the visitor, seeing as adjusting to the novelty of using the Hololens can be hard enough.
We were pleased to find out that people responded positively to our new way of offering information. Instead of having one place to read one sheet of paper, they can now pick a route and discover more information as they explore the temple.
The old way of receiving information
The new way of receiving information
Another thing we made sure to double check, was the information about the temple that is incorporated in the app. We went to the museum again to meet with Professor Raven, the curator at the National Museum of Antiquities.
Our meeting with Professor Raven
One of the main things he wanted us to know, is how hard it is to say with certainty what the interior and surroundings of the temple looked like, and what the traditions were exactly. Unfortunately, the temple was damaged over the years and the floor was not salvable anymore.
This means we have to find a compromis between creating an experience that is as authentic as possible, but also shows the possibilities of incorporating the Hololens. We feel like we are well underway with finding that compromis and have high hopes for the end of this project.
This week, it was time to sit down and finalize the concept.
We had some difficulties deciding which part of the project was more important to focus on,-because of the limited amount of time- the concept or the final product.
This was mostly due to the fact that our different studies had different views on the matter. However, after having discussed this, we came up with a good compromise.
We split the group up into two teams; team Brainstorm and team Unity, meeting every day at lunchtime to discuss our progress.
Team Brainstorm was responsible for collecting all the information relevant to the exhibit, and designing a new user experience for the visitor of the museum.
One of the many brainstormsessions
The brainstorming not only meant coming up with a concept on how to display the information in a new way using the hololens, but also working out all the details (e.g. pop-ups, specific texts, interfaces etc.). So far, we are very pleased with the results. Over the course of next week we want to conduct additional user tests, with the help of visualisations.
Team Unity focused on the technical part of the experience, the programming. This meant we first had to become more familiar with the program, by following the tutorials and discovering the possibilities of Unity. We learned different ways to interact with surroundings, using gestures and different voicecommands. The tutorials gave us new insights and ideas on how to implement the newly learned features in the project. Even though the tutorials were very hard work and took a long time to complete, the results were more than worth it and made us very enthusiastic and motivated.
Next week will be a matter of dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s concerning the brainstormsession, and then the four of us will focus solely on the realization of our concept.