This weekend, we went to the museum once again to test our prototype with actual visitors. We planned on using the Presence Questionnaire by Witmer & Singer, revised by the UQO Cyberpsychology Lab. We also wanted to create a heatmap of where the visitors walked and stayed the longest, and compare that to the routes we had programmed in the app itself.
When we got to the museum, this proved to be a bigger challenge than expected. The new script for the heatmapping couldn’t be deployed due to errors we were not able to solve. After this setback, we regrouped and figured we could still place the app and heatmap people manually. This was also not as easy as we thought it would be. The app was programmed for a flat surface, whereas the floor leading up to the temple had a small staircase. We tried to solve this by standing on a crutch and having the temple at eyelevel.
Unfortunately, this did not work as well as we wanted. Standing still, the app looked nice and was placed correctly. However, as soon as you started moving, the app shifted and the statue and the routes were placed through walls. This lead to some frustration.
Due to this setback, we decided to look at the day as a testrun.
We placed the app as well as we could and took some pictures using the live preview of the Hololens. We also asked some visitors to put on the Hololens and give their first impression. This proved to be difficult because they were unable to walk around without crashing the app. However, their initial reactions were positive. They liked the idea and found the information and the different routes interesting.
We also showed the pictures and the demovideo that we made so far to some of the employees at the museum. They were very enthusiastic, asking to see even more content. Hearing their feedback really cheered us up again and we left feeling pleased about the possibilities of our project.